SOUTH SQUARE OPEN DAY
11 March | 11-3pm
South Square Centre is opening it’s doors to the community on 11th March 11-3pm.
We warmly invite visitors, old and new, to learn more about the facility, what we do and how they can be a part of it. Drop in for food and informal conversation, meet the staff and artists, and discover the heritage of South Square.
Central government cuts to Bradford Council are forcing tough decisions. South Square Centre is facing a huge increase in rent and rates that would effectively force its closure.
Rather than curse the dark, however, the South Square team have been working tirelessly over the past year to provide a Plan B. The crux of this is a Community Asset Transfer that will allow the community to take on the lease of the building; affording more control and independence.
The initial proposals for South Square to take this community-driven direction have been met with great positivity and approval from the Council. With the groundwork laid it is now time for South Square to enter a new phase in its life and fulfil its potential as a centre for community-led regeneration of the area.
South Square has always been run by a dedicated team of volunteers supported by a minimal team of part time staff and the good will and enthusiasm of its tenants and users. In order to achieve our greater ambitions we need to step up this support which, in these crucial early stages, means there are plenty of ways in which you can help.
Support us and get involved by…
• becoming a tenant
• becoming a volunteer
• becoming a member
• helping to spread the word about our events and activities
• organising a fund/awareness raising event
• supporting the cafe, shop and other businesses in the Centre
• contributing to our crowd funder which will provide much needed resources to buy in expertise and professional services, as well as go towards the maintenance and upkeep of the building
• becoming a steering group member: we need people with expertise in legal and building asset management to assist the administration in a Community Asset Transfer.
• booking the facilities at South Square. Do you have a session you'd like to run at South Square; yoga, craft, book groups etc.
If you are interested in any of the above please either get in touch by email, phone or drop by. With your support we can make the most of the difficult times we all face and become a valuable community resource for Thornton, Bradford and beyond. We hope you’ll be part of that journey.
Opening Hours | Tuesday - Sunday | 12 - 3pm | And by appointment
Images and text copyright of South Square Centre 2016
South Square, Thornton, Bradford, BD13 3LD
Email: email@example.com | Telephone: +44 (0)1274 834 747
Design: Qubik | Built with Indexhibit